Tuesday 14 July 2009

London 3

This post is kind of a hodgepodge of a few of the other places I visited while in London. Since I went to these places throughout my time here, they are in no particular order.

The Victoria & Albert Museum
This was a really interesting place. Although it is a museum of art and design, and I've been to plenty of those, I'm not sure that I've ever really been to something similar. It is such a huge museum that it would take ages to get through all the exhibits. I pretty much had a whole day so was only limited by my own endurance. Needless to say I didn't make it through the whole museum, which would be quite an undertaking, but I did manage to make my way through a good portion of the exhibits. The V&A has exhibits from all over the world and most time periods. It is well worth a visit if you are ever in London.

Parliament
I was able to get tickets to the Prime Minister's Questions (PMQs) which take place in the House of Commons. Unfortunately, even having tickets does not guarantee a seat and, as it was the last session before the MP's recess, I wasn't able to get in. The PMQs only last for a half hour from 12-12:30 and anyone can get tickets from their embassy; however, Brits get preference in the "first come, first served" seating. However, I was able to get in after the PMQs to see a debate on climate change which was interesting. It was also nice to look around Parliament. There were plenty of tour groups, so I was able to listen in as some passed by while we waited to be let in. It is well worth the time to visit Parliament but, to me anyways, it looses a bit of it's luster as the building was rebuilt after a fire in the 1830's. As a history buff, it would be much more interesting to be able to actually walk the halls where so many historic events had occurred. As it stands, mine is only a minor complaint. The current structure is beautiful and a good substitute and they make an effort to point out the locations where these historic events did occur.


Tate Modern

I went to the Tate Modern after work on a Friday. Its housed in an old power station on the south side of the Thames. In the photo you can see the Millennium Bridge which allows pedestrians to cross the river. It stays open until 10 PM on Fridays and Saturday. I was a little tired from work to cover the entire museum, but was I did see was absolutely great. I could have spent many more hours there. I just covered the free sections (there are also changing exhibits which charge a entrance fee). I'd like to spend some more time there before I leave. It really is one of the world's premier modern art galleries.

1 comment: